Monday, February 11, 2013

The simple joys of today...

Last night it snowed...big heavy flakes that only just settled on the ground enough that this morning there is a light covering of white and a whole load of slush.  

I love the extremes of winter more than the dull greyness of it, so really...I'm in my element.

Ironically I have daffodils all over my house, a promise of spring...because winter is starting to feel as it always does toward the end, like it's dragging out just a little too long.  Hope for better weather to come.

However, snow, and harsh, cold weather brings it's own pleasures, as did today.

So after the cleaning and the washing, the daffodil tending and getting ready for work this afternoon, I decided that I needed something nourishing and comforting.

I needed to whip up something with the things I had!  What did I have ingredients for?  Mushroom soup.

It looked something like this (because I forgot to take a picture!):


The recipe was pretty simple...and serves one...but my was it divine.

Basically I just chucked one chopped onion, one large chopped garlic clove, 1/2 punnet of mushrooms and some olive oil in a pot with salt to taste.  I sautéed all of that together until it softened and then added a couple of tablespoons of canned chestnut purée   Add veggie stock to cover and cook for about 30 minutes.  Taste.  Season some more.  Blend with a stick blender.  Sit at a table with daffs and some worship music on...and eat.

Oh my was it good.  I love that simple things, can taste good, and be ultra nourishing.  Love it.  

What simple joys or pleasures did you have today? 


1 comment:

  1. Cream of Mushroom is good. On those rare times I cook, I use it over chicken and rice. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments...it always makes me smile! So - thanks for commenting! Comments are...in blogosphere, the place where friendships start!